Near Schertz in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Throughout the 20th century, Comal remained a small and close-knit agricultural village. The Friesenhahn brothers, influenced by the community’s reliance on cotton as a cash crop, organized a community cooperative gin in 1900 and established a corn shelling plant that served area farmers. Kneupper’s Grocery, in business from 1906 to 1973, provided the community with goods and was a center for social gatherings on Friday and Saturday evenings. A blacksmith shop, owned by the Wenzel and Schwab families, remains standing near the center
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17149.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 38.74′ N, 98° 13.418′ W. Marker is near Schertz, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Nacogdoches Road and Farm to Market Road 482, on the right when traveling south on Old Nacogdoches Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Braunfels TX 78132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schertz Historic Site (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Schertz Historic Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Zions Kirche (approx. 3.2 miles away); West End Park and Dance Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away); Carl Heinrich Guenther (approx. 5.7 miles away); The New Braunfels Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Paul Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Cibolo (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Schertz.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.