Englewood in Charlotte County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bass Biological Labs/Cookie House
The Bass complex included laboratories, a workshop, a house for internationally distinguished scientists, a water tower, a windmill, a boathouse and a series of log cabins set among saw palmettos and slash pines. The first and smallest cabin, the “Cookie House,” served as the lab and office of John Bass. It utilized a building technique popular in Wisconsin, but extremely rare in Florida, called “stovewood” construction. This style used cross-section cuts of wood that resembled cookies when
Erected 2007 by Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
Location. 26° 56.234′ N, 82° 20.479′ W. Marker is in Englewood, Florida, in Charlotte County. Marker is on New Point Comfort Road, 0.1 miles south of South McCall Road (Florida Route 776), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Englewood FL 34223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cookie House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lemon Bay Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Joseph Daniel Anderson (approx. 6.7 miles away); Town of McCall (approx. 7.3 miles away); Placida Bunk House (approx. 7.3 miles away); Woodmere (approx. 7.6 miles away); Myakka River Civil War Skirmish (approx. 8.3 miles away); Southland Trail Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Englewood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 133 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.