Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Englewood in Charlotte County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Cookie House

 
 
The Cookie House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 21, 2016
1. The Cookie House Marker
Inscription.  The unique "Cookie House" was built c. 1931 by John Foster Bass, Jr. (1897-1939) founder of the Bass Biological Laboratory and Zoological Research Supply Company, to serve as his personal office and laboratory near the Bass home on New Point Comfort Road near Gottfried Creek. The Bass operation was the first full-time land-based marine station on the Florida mainland, where eminent naturalists, biologists and zoologists studied and identified at least 470 marine and terrestrial animals between 1931 and 1944.

The log "stovewood" construction technique and architectural style of the small one-story Cookie House are rare. Once popular among rural Wisconsin immigrant populations, no other examples are known in Florida. This practical pioneer building technique utilized local resources. Log disks cut from lighter knot pine logs were stacked on edge in cement mortar mixed with beach sand, leading to an appearance resembling brown cookies on a white plate.

As many as a dozen log cabins were built on the Bass property in the 1930s, but all of the other Bass structures have been demolished over the years. The historic Cookie House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is the only one remaining today. It was relocated within the Lemon Bay estuary in 2006, moved here to Cedar Point Environmental Park in a public-private effort to ensure its preservation.
 
Erected 2013 by Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
 
Location. 26° 55.517′ N, 82° 20.066′ W. Marker is in Englewood, Florida, in Charlotte County. Marker can be reached from Placida Road (County Route 775) 0.3 miles south of Health Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Cedar Point Environmental Park at the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2300 Placida Road, Englewood FL 34224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bass Biological Labs/Cookie House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lemon Bay Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Town of McCall (approx. 6.9 miles away); Placida Bunk House (approx. 6.9 miles away); Joseph Daniel Anderson (approx. 7.6 miles away); Myakka River Civil War Skirmish (approx. 8.2 miles away); Woodmere (approx. 8.6 miles away); Southland Trail Cemetery (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Englewood.
 
The Cookie House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 21, 2016
2. The Cookie House and Marker
The Cookie House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, June 21, 2016
3. The Cookie House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,000 times since then and 409 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151050

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024