West in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Mary's School
A new brick schoolhouse with six classrooms and an auditorium erected in 1917 accommodated more students. By 1928 seven nuns were teaching at the school. Facilities continued to change as enrollment increased and more sisters arrived. Extracurricular programs with the West public schools ensured that St. Mary's students participated in a variety of activities. The school was fully accredited by the Texas Catholic Conference in 1967.
With the economic and social changes of the second half of the 20th century, the number of Sisters able to teach
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12123.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 31° 48.071′ N, 97° 5.895′ W. Marker is in West, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is on South Harrison Street south of West Spruce Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 507 W Spruce St, West TX 76691, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Church of the Assumption (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); West (approx. 0.3 miles away); Groppe Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Crash at Crush (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Crash at Crush (approx. 3.8 miles away); St. Martin Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tours Community (approx. 4˝ miles away); Czech Settlers in Hill County (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.