Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abbott in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Czech Settlers in Hill County

 
 
Czech Settlers in Hill County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 4, 2020
1. Czech Settlers in Hill County Marker
Inscription.  One of the most influential and numerous national groups to settle in Hill County, Czechs came to this area from Fayette County and the province of Moravia in Austria-Hungary. Many sought greater freedom due to barriers to attaining national status in the old country, political restraints, introduction of German into the schools, and compulsory military service.

Land agents painted a rosy picture of opportunities awaiting those who purchased cheap state university lands in this region. The first immigrants arrived in the 1870s and found the soil so fertile that they induced many others to join them. Building of the Texas Central and "Katy" railroads boosted immigration.

Capital of Czech settlement in the area is Abbott, named for Jo Abbott (1840-1908), judge, legislator, and lawyer. Surrounding towns are Zee Vee (so called for the local ZV cattle brand), Penelope, and Aquilla.

Neighbors admired the Czechs for their neat, well managed farms and their thrift and industry. For many years they retained a strong group spirit, speaking their own language and observing old world customs. In recent decades they have
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
mixed more with other groups and today fill many public and professional offices as well as continue to farm.
 
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1142.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 31° 52.823′ N, 97° 4.707′ W. Marker is in Abbott, Texas, in Hill County. Marker can be reached from West Houston Street east of Interstate 35 Frontage Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 West Houston St, Abbott TX 76621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abbott Schools (approx. ¼ mile away); L.C. McKamie (approx. ¼ mile away); Abbott (approx. half a mile away); Abbott Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Abbott United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Old Carr Ranch (approx. 1.3 miles away); West Brethren Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of West (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbott.
 
Czech Settlers in Hill County Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 4, 2020
2. Czech Settlers in Hill County Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151065

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024