Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Robert C. Williamson Hall
University of Florida
Born on November 2, 1887, Robert Crozier Williamson earned his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin in 1923 with a thesis titled “The Ionization of Potassium Vapor by Light.” He served as chair of the Physics Department at the University of Florida from 1930 to 1958. Williamson passed away in September of 1972.
Constructed in 1958 and dedicated in 1965, Williamson Hall, named for Dr. Williamson, originally housed the Physics Department. They were relocated to accommodate the Department of Geology in 1998, coinciding with the 50th anniversary of geology at the University of Florida.
Erected 1965 by University of Florida.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 29° 38.909′ N, 82° 20.795′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on Stadium Road, 0.1 miles south of Buckman Drive, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located within the University of Florida Campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1843 Stadium Road, Gainesville FL 32611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. University Infirmary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Florida 4-H (about 500 feet away); Newell Hall (about 600 feet away); Florida Extension (about 600 feet away); Jim and Alexis Pugh Hall (about 600 feet away); Rolfs Hall (about 600 feet away); IFAS (about 700 feet away); Manning J. Dauer, Jr. (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.