Lewisburg in Marshall County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Founding of Lewisburg
On Oct. 4, 1836, the county court of Marshall County appointed a committee which built a county courthouse and jail, laid off streets and sold lots in the new town. Members of this committee were James Osborne, William Williams, Joel Yowell, Aaron Boyd and James C. Record.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3G 14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 4, 1836.
Location. 35° 26.961′ N, 86° 47.298′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, Tennessee, in Marshall County. Marker is on North 1st Avenue north of West Commerce Street (Business U.S. 431), on the left when traveling north. The marker is located on the east side of the Marshall County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisburg TN 37091, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marshall County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Desert Shield / Desert Storm Monument (a few steps Marshall County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War in Marshall County (within shouting distance of this marker); Jim Nance McCord (within shouting distance of this marker); Polk's Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Abner Houston (within shouting distance of this marker); Dixie Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.