Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

History of Colonial Hall

 
 
History of Colonial Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 6, 2020
1. History of Colonial Hall Marker
Inscription.  For well over a century, “Colonial Hall” was a private residence adjacent to the Martin Methodist College campus. Built in 1848 by community leader and physician Dr. William Batte, the mansion later served as the residence for the son of Thomas Martin and for Dr. Elihu Edmundson, a mayor of Pulaski. In 1878, the mansion was acquired by John C. Brown, who served as governor of Tennessee from 1871-1875, and he lived there until his death in 1889. The Brown family retained possession until 1927 when the house was sold to Dr. and Mrs. James K. Blackburn. Members of the Blackburn family lived here until it was purchased by Martin Methodist College in 1996. Fire and strong winds did severe damage in 2000 and 2001, so ground was broken in June 2001 for a $1.75 million reconstruction, to be known as Grissom Colonial Hall.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 35° 12.001′ N, 87° 2.033′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is on West Madison Street west of North
History of Colonial Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 6, 2020
2. History of Colonial Hall Marker
Marker is left of the front entrance.
Click or scan to see
this page online
3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 West Madison Street, Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor John C. Brown House (here, next to this marker); Grissom Colonial Hall (a few steps from this marker); Church of the Messiah (within shouting distance of this marker); This Well (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Donald Grady Davidson (1893~1966) John Crowe Ransom (1888~1974) (about 700 feet away); Sam Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Pulaski (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pulaski Courthouse Square Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 8, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   2. submitted on June 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151115

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2022