Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Burlington in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse / UVM Miller Research and Educational Center

 
 
Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dennis Gilkenson, June 8, 2020
1. Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse Marker
Inscription.  
Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse
The land forming the University of Vermont Miller Research and Educational Center has been used for agricultural purposes since 1763, when it was deeded to Jacob Kirbee by Royal Land Grant. By 1823, Eleazer H. Deming, one of the wealthiest men in Chittenden County, owned the farm, which was expanded by his son-in-law to include a sawmill. By 1862, James Shedd had purchased Deming’s farm, naming it Pleasant View Farm. Shedd was a Burlington merchant and director of the State Agricultural Society. His farm developed a reputation for producing award-winning cattle, sheep, and horses. A 2½-story Italianate-style house, commonly known as the White Farmhouse, was built c. 1870 for the farm manager.

UVM Miller Research and Educational Center
In 1944, the University of Vermont acquired Pleasant View Farm and the White Farmhouse. In the spirit of Shedd’s model farm, the property was adapted to serve as the UVM Paul R. Miller Research and Education Center for the development and promotion of agriculture in Vermont and New England. Shedd’s barns were
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
replaced by new agricultural teaching and research facilities, including modern free-stall and stanchion barns. Together with a bungalow moved here from the main campus in 1951, the White Farmhouse continued to provide housing for UVM farm employees until the early 1990s. It was razed in 2015 to allow for the modern expansion of the Miller Research and Educational Center facilities.
 
Erected 2018 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
 
Location. 44° 27.592′ N, 73° 11.403′ W. Marker is in South Burlington, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is on Spear Street south of Quarry Hill Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Spear Street, South Burlington VT 05403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel de Champlain (approx. 1.2 miles away); Andrew Harris 1814-1841 (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grace Goodhue Coolidge (approx. 1.3 miles away); John Dewey (approx. 1.3 miles away); General William Wells / Dr. H. Nelson Jackson (approx. 1.3 miles away); Centennial Field
UVM Miller Research and Educational Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dennis Gilkenson, June 8, 2020
2. UVM Miller Research and Educational Center
(approx. 1˝ miles away); Exchange Block (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pine Street Barge Canal (approx. 1.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  University of Vermont, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, UVM Paul R. Miller Research and Edu. (Submitted on June 13, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Wide View of Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse/UVM Miller Research and Educational Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dennis Gilkenson, June 8, 2020
3. Wide View of Pleasant View Farm's White Farmhouse/UVM Miller Research and Educational Center Marker
UVM Miller Research and Educational Center Buildings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dennis Gilkenson, June 8, 2020
4. UVM Miller Research and Educational Center Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2020, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2020, by Dennis Gilkenson of Saxtons River, Vermont. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151132

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024