Columbia in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Union Station Train Depot
Columbia's Union Station Train Depot was built in 1902 by the Louisville & Nashville Railroad and opened in November 1903. Designed in a vernacular Romanesque style, it is one of the city's most imposing landmarks. The two-story brick and stone structure was built with a highly decorated interior that featured paneled oak wainscoting, molded chair rails, paneled beam ceilings embellished with plaster rosettes, ornamental window surrounds, decorative tile floors with Greek key borders, and marble baseboards.
This, Columbia's third depot, was built at a cost of $200,000. In the early 20th century during its heyday, the Union Station Train Depot was the center of passenger travel as well as freight and mail shipping. It serviced both steam and diesel-powered locomotives. It was the embarkation point for soldiers heading to war, and visitors included President William Howard Taft, General John Pershing, and Buffalo Bill. The last passenger train left Columbia's Union Station on December 7, 1954. The depot was sold by the railroad in 1986 into private ownership.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #27 William Howard Taft series list.
Location. 35° 36.499′ N, 87° 2.258′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Tennessee, in Maury County. Marker is on Depot Street east of South High Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 Depot Street, Columbia TN 38401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Fire Department (approx. ¼ mile away); College Hill High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1946 Columbia Race Riot (approx. 0.4 miles away); A.J. Morton Funeral Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); James K. Polk House (approx. half a mile away); Side by Side (approx. half a mile away); James Knox Polk (approx. half a mile away); The Princess Theatre (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.