Columbia in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Freedmen's Savings Bank and Trust Company
In 1865, the U.S. Congress chartered the Freedmen's Savings and Trust Company, known as the Freedmen's Bank, to aid freed persons in their transition from enslavement to freedom. In 1870, Samuel M. Arnell and J.P. Baird established the Columbia, Tennessee branch in a room over the McGaw Livery Stable at Sixth and North Main Streets. This branch was one of four branches and the last one established in Tennessee. After several successful years, the freedmen deposited more than $57 million. In 1874, the Freedmen's Bank closed all of its branches due to mismanagement and the financial panic of 1873.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3D 85.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
Location. 35° 36.961′ N, 87° 2.007′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Tennessee, in Maury County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 North Main Street, Columbia TN 38401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nelson House Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Bethel House Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Princess Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1946 Columbia Race Riot (approx. 0.2 miles away); A.J. Morton Funeral Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camille Leonie Herndon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Polk Family (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.