Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clements in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Clements Elementary School

 
 
Clements Elementary School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 9, 2020
1. Clements Elementary School Marker
The marker is behind a fence and locked gate.
Inscription.  In 1869, about a mile NW from here, the first brick school house was erected on the second flat of the Mokelumne River bank and retained the name from the original little wooden school house on the first flat, Prince Athearn School.
Then in 1877 at this location, the second brick school house was built on deeded land from Stillman Magee. It was built using some of the bricks from the original brick school house at the flat. Thomas Clements also donated more bricks, and pioneers of the community subscribed the money to purchase additional materials to complete the building of the two-story brick school house. In 1938, the brick school house was demolished and some of those bricks were used for the main entrance of the Glenview Cemetery. In 1939, the current building was erected at this site. Lodi School District took domain of the school in the mid 1960s. The building had some upgrades in 1991. On May 27, 2011 was the final day of classes. In late 2011, a group of citizens including three school Trustees attended five meetings with Lodi School District to urge the district to give the school back to the town of Clements. In order to obtain
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the property back some non-profits together with four community members with Ed Jones presiding as President, they officially renamed the building to Clements School Community Center. **

(** Text copied from A Nice Piece of Brass, E Clampus Vitus Plaques 2013-2017)
 
Erected 2016 by Clements School Community Center and E Clampus Vitus, Tuleburgh Chapter No. 69.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
 
Location. 38° 11.545′ N, 121° 4.988′ W. Marker is in Clements, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is on State Highway 88 near Mackville Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19051 California Highway 88, Clements CA 95227, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Athearn School Bell (a few steps from this marker); David S. Terry (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Clements Buckaroos (approx. ¼ mile away); James B. Anderson (approx. ¾ mile away); Glenview Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away); Lone Star Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mackville Road Bridge
Clements Elementary School and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 9, 2020
2. Clements Elementary School and Marker
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Dogtown Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clements.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the ground of Clements School Community Center, behind a fence and locked gate.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 11, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151212

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024