Gainesville in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
University of Florida
Construction on Sledd Hall began in 1928. Originally known as New Dormitory, it was completed in 1929 and renamed Sledd Hall in 1939. The architect was Rudolph Weaver and the contractor was the Sutton Brothers Company. The original construction connected to the southeast corner of Thomas Hall and extended eastward to the southwest corner of Buckman Hall. Sledd Hall’s exterior façade is enhanced by a number of decorative stone carvings portraying student life.
Andrew Sledd was born on November 7, 1870, in Lynchburg, Virginia, the son of a Methodist Episcopal minister. He was awarded a bachelor’s and a master’s degree from Randolph Macon College. He also earned a master’s degree in Greek from Harvard and a Ph.D in Latin from Yale. In 1904, Dr. Andrew Sledd accepted the presidency of the University of Florida. At that time UF was located in Lake City. He remained president during the University’s move to Gainesville, and served in that capacity until 1909. He then became president of Southern University in Greensboro, Alabama. Dr. Sledd later served as one of the first faculty members at Emory University’s Candler School of Theology
This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by University of Florida.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1929.
Location. 29° 39.041′ N, 82° 20.75′ W. Marker is in Gainesville, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Fletcher Drive and East West Drive, on the right when traveling north. Located within the University of Florida Campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 191 Fletcher Drive, Gainesville FL 32612, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Manning J. Dauer, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Murphree Hall (about 500 feet away); University Infirmary (about 500 feet away); Jim and Alexis Pugh Hall (about 600 feet away); Leigh Hall (about 700 feet away); Rolfs Hall (about 700 feet away); Griffin/Floyd Hall (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 11, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 11, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.