Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waxahachie in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church Building

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 10, 2020
1. First Presbyterian Church Building Marker
Inscription.  The Rev. J. A. Smiley organized the First Presbyterian Church in 1871 with 16 charter members. The first church building was erected in 1876 and replaced by this structure in 1916-17. After this congregation merged with another church in 1979, the building was sold to the Ellis County Art Association for use as a fine arts museum. It is a fine example of a classical church with beaux arts details in its modified Doric columns and art glass windows.
 
Erected 1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11858.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
 
Location. 32° 23.23′ N, 96° 51.071′ W. Marker is in Waxahachie, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on West Main Street (Business U.S. 287) west of South Monroe Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 511 W Main St, Waxahachie TX 75165, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Homesite of Dr. D.G. Thompson (within shouting distance of this marker); N. P. Sims Library and Lyceum (about
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall) (about 600 feet away); The Mahoney-Thompson House (about 700 feet away); 114 South Rodgers Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Marchman Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ellis County Confederate War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Letter From The Alamo (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waxahachie.
 
First Presbyterian Church Building Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 10, 2020
2. First Presbyterian Church Building Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 209 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151236

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024