Waxahachie in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
N. P. Sims Library and Lyceum
Nicholas P. Sims (1806-1902), a native of Virginia who settled in 1833 in Ellis County and prospered as a farmer and investor, endowed the library and lyceum in 1902, naming as trustees his stepsons O.E. and S.W. Dunlap, along with George H. Cunningham. Architect S. Wemyes Smith of Fort Worth designed the Neo-Classical building, using Carrara marble and other fine structural materials. The library opened in April 1905. Books and reading rooms were on the first floor, with the auditorium, atheneum, anterooms, and stage for performing arts on the second floor.
Braden & Jones designed the wings. The west wing was financed (1958) by an Ellis Countian, the talented inventor, J. Harry Phillips (1872-1962). Industrialist W.H. Larkin and Mrs. Larkin financed (1965) the east wing. Other major gifts were received from sale of the home bequeathed by 1938-52 city secretary Robert
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7149.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1905.
Location. 32° 23.294′ N, 96° 51.137′ W. Marker is in Waxahachie, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on West Main Street (Business U.S. 287) east of North Hawkins Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 W Main St, Waxahachie TX 75165, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mahoney-Thompson House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Homesite of Dr. D.G. Thompson (about 600 feet away); Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paul Richards Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Curry (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Paul's Episcopal (approx. ¼ mile away); Waxahachie City Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waxahachie.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 127 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.