Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waller in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of South Texas Baptist College

 
 
South Texas Baptist College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 12, 2020
1. South Texas Baptist College Marker
Inscription.  An ambitious institution chartered by Baptists who formed South Texas Educational Conference about 1895 and in 1898 secured campus site from a local landowner, C.C. Waller. Trustees serving when college opened in fall of 1898 were J.C. McGaughy, Hempsted; James F. Duncan, Houston; C.W. Matthews, Montgomery; W.J. Durham, Richmond; S.A. McCall, Willis; J.E. Boulet, E.J. Matthews, J.L. Miles, and J.T. Sanders of Waller.

W.E. Clark, A.M., Georgetown College of Kentucky, was president; Matilda Shannon (Mrs. W.E.) Clark, the college matron; Misses Annie Black and Bellie James, Teachers; Thomas Shannon, secretary. The first session opened with three students, closed with 33; second opened with 15, closed with 102. Courses of study covered primary through college subjects; tuition ranged form $10 to $20 a term.

The third session opened on Monday, Sept. 3, 1900. On the night of Sept. 8-9, the great 1900 storm blew in from Galveston. It severely damaged the college building, wrecked several churches, and demolished the public school. Although no lives were lost in this town, damage throughout the section was so great that the college
South Texas Baptist College Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 12, 2020
2. South Texas Baptist College Marker Area
Click or scan to see
this page online
never reopened. Its campus has served since 1916 as a public school site.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8119.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is September 3, 1900.
 
Location. 30° 3.746′ N, 95° 55.546′ W. Marker is in Waller, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Waller Avenue west of Farr Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2402 Waller St, Waller TX 77484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Waller (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waller (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of St. Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Jacob E. Freeman (approx. 4.1 miles away); Wyatt Chapel Community Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Pine Island Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waller.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151262

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021