Buena Vista, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Court House
On September 13, 1894, the company sold the building to the city of Buena Vista. It served as the court house until the city vacated it on March 23, 1970, and moved the city offices to the new municipal building.
Through the efforts of civic organizations and many dedicated individuals, “The Old Court House,” preserved and restored, stands today, an integral part of the community life, and a memorial to the pioneer citizens of Buena Vista.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 37° 44.08′ N, 79° 21.241′ W. Marker is in Buena Vista, Virginia. Marker is on Magnolia Avenue (Business U.S. 501) just north of East 21st Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject court house, just to the left of the front entrance. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charlie Manuel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Moomaw’s Landing (approx. 0.7 miles away); Amherst County / Rockbridge County (approx. 3 miles away); Constitution Forest (approx. 3 miles away); Stonewall Jackson House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Original African American Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away); William Henry Ruffner (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buena Vista.
Regarding Old Court House. National Register of Historic Places #79003297 and Virginia Landmarks Register #103-0003. The Old Court House today serves as the Buena Vista Public Library.
Also see . . .
1. Old Courthouse. The former Buena Vista courthouse is a relic of the land boom that took place in the central part of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley in 1889-91. The boom, a direct result of the construction of the Norfolk and Western railroad, contributed to the establishment of several new towns, including Buena Vista. The land company that developed Buena Vista gave credence to its activity by building in 1890 a simple but dignified Second Empire-style (Submitted on June 13, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Old Courthouse (Wikipedia). The Old Courthouse, also known as the Buena Vista Land Company building, is a 2 1/2-story, brick building with a mansard roof in the Second Empire style. It housed the Treasurer's Office, Mayor's Office, Office of the Clerk of Court, the courtroom Attorney's offices, the telephone exchange, and the local Odd Fellow's Lodge. The local public library has occupied the building since 1971. (Submitted on June 13, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.