Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waller in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Waller

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Waller Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 12, 2020
1. First United Methodist Church of Waller Marker
Inscription.  The Waller Methodist Episcopal Church, South, traces its history to 1888, the year it was first mentioned in regional Methodist conference records. Early members included Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Brown, Lawton M. and Sallie Bouknight and Simeon P. and Sarah J. White with their daughters, Grace and Carrie. Church trustees John Whitaker and Cary Mason purchased land in anticipation of the construction of a Methodist church building, but none was ever erected on that site. The congregation met in Waller School at Pine and Cherry streets and a Methodist Sunday School was led by Grace and Carrie White in the Baptist church facility.

The Methodist church's first building was completed in 1906 at the corner of Farr and Bois d'Arc streets, but it was destroyed by a tornado two years later. It was rebuilt at the same location in 1909. Ella King and three other church women organized a women's society in 1911. The church building was devastated by another tornado in 1917, and a new building was erected at the corner of Smith and Cherry streets in 1920. From 1920 to 1940 the Methodists alternated church services with Waller Baptists. Each congregation
First United Methodist Church of Waller Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, June 12, 2020
2. First United Methodist Church of Waller Marker Area
Click or scan to see
this page online
was served twice a month by circuit riding ministers. In 1940 each church began to hold services every Sunday. The 1920 church building was sold and moved in 1961. A modern facility was erected that year, and its debt was paid by 1975.

First United Methodist Church of Waller continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of worship and service such as the Ministerial Alliance, an ecumenical group dedicated to aiding community members in need.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11712.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 30° 3.463′ N, 95° 55.543′ W. Marker is in Waller, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Smith Street and Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on Smith Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1206 Smith St, Waller TX 77484, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waller (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of South Texas Baptist College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of St. Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Jacob E. Freeman (approx. 4.2 miles away); Wyatt Chapel Community Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 4.8 miles away); Pine Island Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 5˝ miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waller.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 13, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151286

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021