Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

100th Anniversary Brenham "Banner-Press"

(1866-1966)

 
 
100th Anniversary Brenham "Banner-Press" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 12, 2020
1. 100th Anniversary Brenham "Banner-Press" Marker
Inscription.  Founded Jan. 1, 1866, as weekly "Southern Banner", by Dan McGary and John C. Rankin, Confederate veterans. For his independent policies, editor McGary was jailed that year. Shop and nearby businesses burned, but paper survived. Became a daily in 1876.

"Banner" was merged with "Press" in 1912 by George Neu. Mrs. Ruby Robertson, on staff in 1912, in 1917 became first woman in Texas to edit a daily. Jim Byrd, production superintendent, has been on force since 1921.

Ben F. Blanton, a newspaperman since 1939, became editor and publisher on Feb. 1, 1962.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8306.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical date for this entry is January 1, 1866.
 
Location. 30° 8.737′ N, 96° 23.132′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Stringer Street west of South Chappell Hill Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2430 Stringer Street, Brenham TX 77833, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker, measured as the crow flies. Germania Mutual Aid Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Giddings Stone Mansion 1870 (approx. half a mile away); Giddings-Stone House (approx. half a mile away); City of Brenham (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Milroy's Garden and Orchard (approx. 0.6 miles away); William H. Watson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brenham (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
 
100th Anniversary Brenham "Banner-Press" Marker Area image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 12, 2020
2. 100th Anniversary Brenham "Banner-Press" Marker Area
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151327

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024