Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
in the United States.
Built by the eminent architect Jay
Opened Dec. 4, 1818 with the Comedy
and a Farce
"Raising The Wind"
Within these walls have played
the greatest dramatic and operatic stars
of the world
and re-opened October 21, 1950
Erected by The Bonatenture Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Landmarks • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 32° 4.551′ N, 81° 5.554′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull Street near E. Hull Street, on the right when traveling north. At Chippewa Square, between E. Hull and McDonough Streets. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) (within shouting distance of this marker); Independent Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Presbyterian Meeting House (about 300 feet away); Lowell Mason (about 300 feet away); Birthplace of Juliette Low (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); "Tyrants Fall In Every Foe Liberty's In Every Blow" (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Savannah Theatre. The Savannah Theatre
Built by eminent architect William Jay, the Savannah Theatre is the nation’s oldest theater in continuing operation. After debuting in 1818 with a comedy production, Soldiers Daughter, and a farce, Raising the Wind, the theater was granted a perpetual charter in 1838. It has burned several times over the years, but has been rebuilt and reopened successfully each time, including a conversion for motion picture presentations, and parts of the rear wall still contain bricks and foundation of the 1818 theatre. A prime example of the 1940s Art Deco movie venues, the 452-seat theatre, long held by the
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,712 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.