Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rigaud in Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Québec — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
 

Le 125, Saint-Pierre

125 Saint-Pierre Street

 
 
Le 125, Saint-Pierre Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 9, 2019
1. Le 125, Saint-Pierre Marker
Inscription.  
Français:
De style pittoresque, cette demeure construite en 1856, reflète bien les goûts particuliers des anciens propriétaires. Des lambrequins bordent l'ensemble de l'avant-toit et les chapiteaux des colonnes sont ornés de frises qui constituent une variante du style néogothique. Alors que le carré de maison et la toiture arrière rappellent davantage la tradition canadienne, le côté gauche de la demeure s'inspire du plan pignon de rue.

Bâtie par Jean-Baptiste-Amédée Mongenais, qui y habita jusqu'en 1881, la partie droite de cette maison servit probablement de magasin général alors que Monsieur Mongenais était associé avec son gendre, Hugh McMillan. Son fils, Napoléon Mongenais, fait construire l'aile à gauche vers 1885 afin d'y installer son cabinet de médecine. Par la suite, cet endroit sera occupé par un détaillant d'accessoires électriques, puis acquis par J. Omer Lalonde. On y retrouvera pendant plusieurs années La Boutique opérée par son fils Jacques. Acquise par un artisan au début du 21e siècle, ce dernier a procédé à de nombreuses rénovations tout en préservant le cachet original de l'immeuble.

A
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
partir du 27 août 1951 jusqu'en 1958, La Caisse populaire Sainte-Madeleine occupa un comptoir dans cette propriété, jusqu'à ce qu'elle s'installe dans son propre immeuble situé juste à droite, en 1958. La gérance était alors assumée par J. Omer Lalonde, propriétaire de cet immeuble où il y tenait un bureau d'assurances puis un commerce d'articles de sports et de cadeaux en 1946.

English (Google Translate):
This picturesque house, built in 1856, reflects the particular tastes of the previous owners. Lambrequins line the entire eaves and the capitals of the columns are decorated with friezes that form a variant of the Gothic Revival style. While the house square and rear roof are more reminiscent of Canadian tradition, the left side of the house is inspired by the gable plan.

Built by Jean-Baptiste-Amédée Mongenais, who lived there until 1881, the right side of this house probably served as a general store while Monsieur Mongenais was associated with his son-in-law, Hugh McMillan. His son, Napoleon Mongenais, had the left wing built around 1885 to set up his medical practice. Subsequently, this location was occupied by an electrical accessories retailer and then acquired by J. Omer Lalonde. For several years, La Boutique, operated by his son Jacques, was there. Acquired by a craftsman at the beginning of the 21st century, the latter has carried out
Marker detail: Jacques Lalonde avec quelques clientes image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Jacques Lalonde avec quelques clientes
Jacques Lalonde with a few clients
numerous renovations while preserving the original character of the building.

From August 27, 1951 until 1958, The Saint Magdalene People's Fund occupied a counter in this property, until it moved into its own building just to the right in 1958. The management was then assumed by J. Omer Lalonde, owner of this building where he ran an insurance office and then a trade in sports goods and gifts in 1946.
 
Erected by Municipalité de Rigaud and Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 45° 28.667′ N, 74° 18.163′ W. Marker is in Rigaud, Québec, in Vaudreuil-Soulanges. Marker is on Rue Saint-Pierre (Québec Route 325) just south of Rue de la Banque, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Rue Saint-Pierre, Rigaud QC J0P 1P0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 24 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. L'Ancien Bureau de Poste (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Église Sainte-Madeleine-de-Rigaud (about 120 meters away); Le Pont Riguad-De Cavagnal (about 150 meters away); Thomas Bassett Macaulay
Marker detail: 125 Rue Saint-Pierre, vers/circa 1935 image. Click for full size.
3. Marker detail: 125 Rue Saint-Pierre, vers/circa 1935
(approx. 11.1 kilometers away); Carillon Canal (approx. 11.5 kilometers away); The War of 1812 - 1814 (approx. 23.3 kilometers away); Coteau-du-lac (approx. 23.3 kilometers away); The Durham boat (approx. 23.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rigaud.
 
Marker detail: 125 Rue Saint-Pierre, vers/circa 1950 image. Click for full size.
4. Marker detail: 125 Rue Saint-Pierre, vers/circa 1950
Le 125, Saint-Pierre Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 9, 2019
5. Le 125, Saint-Pierre Marker
125 Rue Saint-Pierre image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 9, 2019
6. 125 Rue Saint-Pierre
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 222 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151366

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024