Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Alexander Blue House

Built circa 1850's • Moved 1987 • Opened 2003

 
 
Alexander Blue House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
1. Alexander Blue House Marker
Inscription.  
Alexander Blue was born in New York on February 25, 1817 to Daniel and Mary Blue. Alexander bought 80 acres in Livonia Township in 1835. He married Catharine Blue and they had three children, Malcolm (1844), Daniel A. (1846), and Mary C. (1851). Alexander held many township positions during his lifetime. He became Justice of the Peace in 1846 and held the position for 28 years. He was also township supervisor for three years and postmaster of Elm in 1879.

This two-story Italianate farmhouse was built in the 1850's. It was constructed of clapboard and had a stone foundation. There is a curvilinear cornice of verge board or gable trim along the eaves and porch columns. The home originally had 11 rooms. This building now serves as the park office on the upper level and rental space on the lower level.

The Alexander Blue House was originally located on Middle Belt, north of Schoolcraft in Section 23.
 
Erected by City of Livonia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public WorkSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 25, 1817.
 
Location.
Upper left image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
2. Upper left image
Click or scan to see
this page online
42° 26.261′ N, 83° 24.975′ W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Newburgh Road south of Eight Mile Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Historic Greenmead [park], about 400 feet from Newburgh Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20501 Newburgh Road, Livonia MI 48152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Detroit United Railway Waiting Room (within shouting distance of this marker); A.J. Geer Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bungalow (within shouting distance of this marker); The Newburg Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friends Meeting House (about 300 feet away); The Newburg School (about 400 feet away); The Shaw House (about 500 feet away); The Cranson-Hinbern House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
 
Also see . . .  Explore the buildings. (Submitted on June 16, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Lower left image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
3. Lower left image
Blue Farm circa 1910
Upper right image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
4. Upper right image
Alexander and family members
Lower right image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
5. Lower right image
Alexander Blue House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
6. Alexander Blue House and Marker
Alexander Blue House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
7. Alexander Blue House and Marker
View from the northeast.
Alexander Blue House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
8. Alexander Blue House
View from the south.
Historic Greenmead sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
9. Historic Greenmead sign
Sign on the west side of Newburgh Road for the historic village.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 16, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   7, 8, 9. submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151479

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022