Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Newburg Church

Built 1848 • Moved 1977 • Opened 1984

 
 
The Newburg Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
1. The Newburg Church Marker
Inscription.  
In 1848, on land leased from Joseph Kingsley across from the Newburg Cemetery, this church was built as a Presbyterian Meeting House. After construction, the Presbyterians and Congregationalists shared usage, alternating services weekly. In the early 1880's, the building was used as a Congregational Church. In 1888, the Congregational and Methodist congregations merged and renamed the church Newburg Methodist Church.

The belfry was added in 1892, and the Sunday School wing was added in 1889. In 1902, the pews and stained glass windows still in the church today were installed.

In 1915, the church was moved a half mile west from its original site to the northeast corner of Newburg Road and Ann Arbor Trail in an effort to increase the congregation size. It was placed on skids and pulled by horses. The vestibule also was enlarged, and the bell tower was rebuilt in 1948.

This building is a part of the Newburg Intersection

The Newburg Church was originally located on Newburg Road, just north of Ann Arbor Trail in Secction 30.
 
Erected by City
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Livonia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 42° 26.306′ N, 83° 24.963′ W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Newburgh Road near Eight Mile Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Historic Greenmead [park], about 0.1 mile from Newburgh Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20501 Newburgh Road, Livonia MI 48152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.J. Geer Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bungalow (within shouting distance of this marker); The Newburg School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Detroit United Railway Waiting Room (within shouting distance of this marker); Friends Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Blue House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shaw House (about 500 feet away); The Cranson-Hinbern House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
 
Also see . . .  Explore the Buildings. (Submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Left image caption image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
2. Left image caption
Photograph was taken in 1910.
A double door was added to the front of the church in the 1890's to allow for a casket to be carried through it.
Upper right image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
3. Upper right image
The Newburg Methodist Church circa 1920's.
Lower right image image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
4. Lower right image
Photograph taken about 1908.
This photo shows many of the renovations that took place beginning in the early 1890's, including the new wallpaper on the ceiling, new pews which were rearranged to widen the center aisle, and one of eight stained glass windows that would eventually be added.
The Newburg Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
5. The Newburg Church and Marker
View from the southwest.
The Newburg Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
6. The Newburg Church
View from the south.
The Newburg Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
7. The Newburg Church
Historic Greenmead sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Joel Seewald, June 11, 2020
8. Historic Greenmead sign
Sign on the west side of Newburgh Road for the historic village.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151524

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024