Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Cranson-Hinbern House
Built circa 1840's • Moved 1985 • Opened 1987
Samuel and Persis Cranson, along with their three children, came to Livonia/Redford Township in 1832 from Monroe County, New York. Land was purchased in the names of children Marquis LaFayette, Samuel Jr., and Asa on June 8, 1833 in Township One South, Range 10 East. Over the next four years, the Cransons would grow to a family of eight, with the births of Luke, Jane, and Sarah.
The rear section of this house was constructed using whole log joists and was built prior to 1850. The front section of this home was built about 1850 and later remodeled with Queen Anne features about the turn of the century.
In 1902, the house and property were purchased by Fredericka Hinbern for $800. It was sold to the Southland Corporation in 1984. The home was donated and moved to Greenmead from its original location at Seven Mile and Inkster.
The Cranson House was originally located on Inkster Road, north of 7 Mile Road.
Cranson - Hinbern House
Livonia Historical Village
The front section of this house was built about 1850 and
Over the years, this house has been owned by two families. The first owners, the Cranson family, came to Livonia in 1832 and purchased the 1.3 acres for eight dollars. The land they farmed was located across the road in Redford Township. The Cransons had six children; four sons and two daughters. Their second son, Samuel, was a carpenter.
In 1902, the house and property were purchased by Reke Hinbern for eight hundred dollars. The Hinbern family sold the property to the Southland Corporation in 1984.
After purchasing the property, the Southland Corporation donated and moved the house to Greenmead from its original location at Seven Mile and Inkster. It will serve as a gatehouse and interpretive center for the Historical Village at Greenmead.
Erected by City of Livonia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is June 8, 1833.
Location. 42° 26.264′ N, 83° 25.078′ W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Newburgh Road south of Eight Mile RoadTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20501 Newburgh Road, Livonia MI 48152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Kingsley House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shaw House (within shouting distance of this marker); Friends Meeting House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Detroit United Railway Waiting Room (about 400 feet away); The Bungalow (about 400 feet away); Joshua Simmons Farm (about 400 feet away); Alexander Blue House (about 500 feet away); A.J. Geer Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.