Livonia in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Built 1913 Moved 1979 Opened 1992
According to city records, this bungalow was built in 1913. The Geer family lived in this house for a short time while operating the store next door. The first floor has two rooms, a living room and kitchen. The stairway in the kitchen will take you to the second floor which has two bedrooms. One is on the west side and the other on the north side.
Between 1905-1925 many bungalows were built in Detroit. The houses featuring large porches and second story dormers were very popular.
Kit Houses: During the early 1900's, bungalow style homes were available to order through a mail catalog from several companies including Aladdin Homes of Bay City, Lewis Liberty Kit Homes of Bay City, Sterling Kit Homes of Bay City, Sears Roebuck, Chicago, Illinois, and Montgomery Wards, Chicago, Illinois. All materials and blueprints would be sent via train, car, or boat to the buyer.
This building is part of the Newburg Intersection
The Bungalow was originally located on Ann Arbor Trail, just west of Newburg in Section 31.
Erected by City of Livonia
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 42° 26.3′ N, 83° 24.996′ W. Marker is in Livonia, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Newburgh Road south of Eight Mile Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is in Historic Greenmead [park], about 0.1 mile from Newburgh Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20501 Newburgh Road, Livonia MI 48152, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.J. Geer Store (a few steps from this marker); The Detroit United Railway Waiting Room (a few steps from this marker); Friends Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Newburg Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Newburg School (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander Blue House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Shaw House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Kingsley House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Livonia.
Also see . . . Explore the Buildings. (Submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 18, 2020, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.