Jacksonport in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Town of Jacksonport
A Bustling Port on Lake Michigan
A towering elm tree once guided sailing schooners into Jacksonport.
In the mid to late-1800s, three bustling piers were the heart of the community. They connected loggers, farmers, and fishermen to markets in Chicago and Milwaukee. The lakeside air was alive with the pungent smell of split cordwood, drying fish nets, and the sounds of working horse teams, barking dogs, and laughing children.
Harvesting the Forest
A small logging company was formed here by Andrew Jackson, Charles Harris, and John Reynolds in 1867. The Town of Jacksonport, named in honor of Jackson, was established two years later. By 1875, Jacksonport had become a prosperous and busy shipping port. Lumber schooners docked at one of three piers to load cordwood, cedar posts, and shingles.
Harvesting the Waters
Commercial fisheries thrived in the early days of Jacksonport. Bountiful harvests of whitefish, herring, and trout caught in gill nets were sold fresh or salted in wooden barrels.
The Plow Follows the Axe
Starting in the 1860s, settlers from Canada, Germany, Austria, England, Ireland, New England,
Highway Comes to Town
In the early 1900s, new roads brought tourists and trucks to town. By 1920, as timber dwindled, the piers closed to commercial shipping.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 58.702′ N, 87° 11.043′ W. Marker is in Jacksonport, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker can be reached from Wisconsin Route 57 south of Lake Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6282 Hwy 57, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reynolds' Pier (within shouting distance of this marker); Anchor & Capstan (within shouting distance of this marker); Erskine Root Cellar (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Michael the Archangel (approx. ¼ mile away); The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity (approx. half a mile away); Jacksonport United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 2 miles away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonport.
More about this marker. The marker is located in Lakeside Park at the edge of the parking lot and the beginning of the path that leads to the beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2020, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 20, 2020, by Devon Polzar of Port Washington, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.