Silverton in Briscoe County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
William E. Schott
Briscoe County pioneer William E. Schott (1870-1941) was born in Ohio and moved to North Texas in 1885. Still legally a minor, he came to this area in 1890 and filed a claim for the first of his later extensive landholdings. In 1891 he overcame the caprock barrier by building the first wagon road to Silverton, where in 1892 he helped organize Briscoe County. A major factor in the settlement of this region, Schott Cap Road (1.5 miles north) was improved when auto travel began. Schott supported local education and encouraged improvement of cattle herds. He married (1907) Tina Kitchen; they had four children.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5825.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 28.112′ N, 101° 7.041′ W. Marker is in Silverton, Texas, in Briscoe County. Marker is on TX 256, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Silverton TX 79257, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lake Theo Folsom Bison Kill Site (approx. 4˝ miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 8.2 miles away); Resthaven Cemetery (approx. 8.9 miles away); William Moten Vaughan (approx. 9.7 miles away); Gasoline Cotton Gin (approx. 10˝ miles away); Briscoe County Jail (approx. 10.6 miles away); Briscoe County (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Silverton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on June 22, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 21, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.