Pittston in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This statue replaces an
earlier statue of Christopher Columbus
upon which appeared the following inscription:
Erected by the intiative of
the Christopher Columbus Beneficial Society
with contributions from the
Italian American citizens of Pittston and vicinity
A. D. 1926
Erected 1969 by Columbus League of Luzerne County and Friends.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is October 12, 1969.
Location. 41° 19.121′ N, 75° 47.622′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 148 South Main Street, Pittston PA 18640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inspiration Mural (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toni the Tomato Mule (approx. ¼ mile away); Workers in Greater Pittston's Garment Industry (approx. ¼ mile away); War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. John the Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Greater Pittston Coal Miner (approx. half a mile away); World War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jenkins' Fort (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittston.
Also see . . . “‘Domani Ci Zappa`’: Italian Immigration and Ethnicity in Pennsylvania” (Saverino, 1995). (Submitted on June 22, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 22, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.