Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Worcester in Worcester County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Green Island

Worcester Bicycle Routes

 
 
Green Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, June 20, 2020
1. Green Island Marker
Inscription.  The Blackstone River Canal generally followed the Mill Brook through Worcester, but between Kelly Square and Brosnihan Square it separated from the brook, creating a bell-shaped island that later became known as Green Island. The Blackstone River Canal, opened in 1828, was a major transport improvement and an outstanding engineering accomplishment. Its short lived career, approximately 16 years in Massachusetts, was a pivotal event in the social and economic development of the Blackstone Valley region linking the pre-industrial and industrial eras. The higher water levels associated with the canal created manufacturing opportunities where none existed before. Little visible evidence of the Blackstone Canal exists in Worcester, but the canal still exists underground as an integral part of the city storm water and sewer system. By the late 1800's the Harding and Winter street manufacturing district developed over the canal. The district was a center for the manufacturing of boots and shoes. George Crompton invented a broad loom and opened a textile mill on Green Street in 1860. The land for Crompton Park was sold to the city in 1888 by his widow,
Green Island Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, June 20, 2020
2. Green Island Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Mary Crompton. By 1883 the textile industry had created a demand that prompted two Worcester Polytechnic Institute students to open a factory to manufacture loom parts. The Wyman Gordon company eventually produced bicycle sprocket forgings, railroad chucks, and airplane wing forgings.
 
Erected by City of Worcester.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 42° 14.933′ N, 71° 48.242′ W. Marker is in Worcester, Massachusetts, in Worcester County. Marker is at the intersection of Quinsigamond Avenue and Canton Street, on the right when traveling north on Quinsigamond Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 59 Quinsigamond Ave, Worcester MA 01610, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Blackstone Canal: 1828-1848 (here, next to this marker); Bartholomew F. (Bart) Sullivan (approx. 0.7 miles away); John J. (Jack) Barry '10 (approx. Ύ mile away); Jonas Rice Homesite (approx. 0.9 miles away); Southeast Corner of the Worcester Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Official State Monument For Veterans Of The Southwest Asian War (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Worcester.
 
Additional sign nearby image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, June 20, 2020
3. Additional sign nearby
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151753

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 4, 2022