Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Old Hickory in Wilson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Williamson Chapel Complex

 
 
Williamson Chapel Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 20, 2020
1. Williamson Chapel Complex Marker
Inscription.  

This Methodist church was built in 1850 for use of slaves by Richard Williamson, an African American, on land donated by slave owner Dick Mastaman. It served as both a church and a school. The original floor joists remain today. In 1896 the building burned and was rebuilt. A two-room school for blacks was built in the Rosenwald style in 1936 by members of the community and some Lebanon businessmen.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 216.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 36° 14.549′ N, 86° 33.747′ W. Marker is near Old Hickory, Tennessee, in Wilson County. Marker is on Needmore Road, 0.2 miles north of East Shady Trail, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1576 Needmore Road, Old Hickory TN 37138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
flies. Lefty Frizzell (approx. 2.4 miles away); Blackwood Field (approx. 3 miles away); Hunter's Hill (approx. 3.1 miles away); Andrew Jackson Donelson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Tulip Grove (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stories Told by Things the Enslaved Left Behind (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Field Quarter (approx. 3.2 miles away); A Lively Place (approx. 3.2 miles away).
 
Williamson Chapel Complex Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 20, 2020
2. Williamson Chapel Complex Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151774

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024