Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Portage in Prince County, Prince Edward Island — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
 

Derelict Railway Stations / Gares Désaffectées

 
 
Derelict Railway Stations / Gares Désaffectées Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 17, 2019
1. Derelict Railway Stations / Gares Désaffectées Marker
Inscription.  
English:
There are three old railway stations across the province that remain near the trail but which are on their last legs. They are in West Devon, Fredericton and York. None of the three belong to the trail, having been hauled back to the edge of the corridor to serve other purposes over the years. That they are standing at all speaks loudly about the sturdy railway construction standards. Eight by eight posts with diagonal corner braces survive a long time and forty-five degree sloped roofs shed water and snow much better than modern construction.

The station in West Devon was built in 1908 by M.F. Schurman & Co. Ltd. It was the second station to serve that community. The peculiar extended overhang at the front was a feature of several stations built at the time. The waiting room was on the right side and the freight shed on the left with a large door opening onto the platform. The station was sold soon after the demise of passenger service in 1969.

Français:
Dans la province, on trouve à proximité du sentier les vestiges de trois anciennes gares de chemin de fer : les gares de West
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Devon, de Fredericton et de York. Aucune d'elles n'appartient au parc du sentier, puisqu'elles ont été déménagées au bord du couloir ferroviaire pour servir à d'autres fins au cours des années. Le fait qu'elles sont encore debout témoigne des normes de construction rigoureuses appliquées à l'époque pour les bâtiments ferroviaires. Les montants de 8 pouces sur 8 pouces et les écharpes en diagonale résistent aux ravages du temps alors que les toits en pente de 45 degrés préviennent l'accumulation des eaux de pluie et de la neige mieux que les constructions modernes.

La gare de West Devon, deuxième gare construite dans le village, a été bâtie en 1908 par M. F. Schurman & Co. Ltd. L'ouvrage en porte-à-faux à l'avant est caractéristique de plusieurs gares construites à l'époque. La salle d'attente se trouvait du côté droit et le hangar à marchandises, doté d'une grande porte s'ouvrant sur le quai, du côté gauche. La gare a été vendue peu après l'abandon des services voyageurs en 1969.
 
Erected by Prince Edward Island Museum & Heritage, Trans Canada Trail and Confederation Trail.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 46° 39.857′ N, 64° 3.507′ W. Marker is in Portage
Marker detail: West Devon Station / Gare de West Devon (2008) image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: West Devon Station / Gare de West Devon (2008)
, Prince Edward Island, in Prince County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Veteran's Memorial Highway (Prince Edward Island Route 2) and Rafferty Road (Prince Edward Island Route 12), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at east end of the Confederation Trail trailhead and parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Portage PE C0B 1H0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 19 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Portege Wildlife Management Area / Aire de Gestion de la Faune de Portege (here, next to this marker); Wellington Station / Gare de Wellington (approx. 18 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Prince Edward Island Railway (Wikipedia). The railway ran tip-to-tip on the island, from Tignish in the west to Elmira in the east, with major spurs serving Borden-Carleton's train ferry dock, the capital in Charlottetown, Montague and Georgetown and the original eastern terminus at Souris. A major spur from Charlottetown served Murray Harbour on the south coast. The line officially closed on 31 December 1989 and the rails were removed by 1992. (Submitted on June 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Confederation Trail (Wikipedia). Comprising almost the total mileage of the historic Prince Edward Island Railway, development of the Confederation
Derelict Railway Stations / Gares Désaffectées Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 17, 2019
3. Derelict Railway Stations / Gares Désaffectées Marker
Trail was discussed by a number of rails to trails advocacy groups in the province in the early 1990s, culminating in the decision by the provincial government to purchase the entire railway right-of-way from CN in 1994. Since its completion from Tignish to Elmira in 2000, the Confederation Trail has proven a popular recreational trail for residents and tourists. (Submitted on June 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=151787

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024