South Arroyo in Pasadena in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Worldwide Church of God and Ambassador College
In November 1946, Herbert W. Armstrong (1892-1986) of the Radio Church of God, later called the Worldwide Church of God, signed a lease-option contract for the former Fowler estate at 363 Grove Street. Ambassador College began on October 8, 1947. The Fowler home served first as the main college building, and later became the Ambassador College Library. In 1949 the former Sprague mansion (Mayfair) was acquired.
After Hulett C. Merritt died in January, 1956, Ambassador College was able to purchase the mansions of both Hulett Merritt and Lewis J. Merritt. With the acquisition of the former Jamieson home (Terrace Villa) in 1958, the college now owned all of the original mansions that had been built on the hill above Terrace Drive from Green Street to Del Mar Blvd.
In 1963, the architectural firm of Daniel, Mann, Johnson and Mendenhall created a master plan for developing the campus property bounded by South Orange Grove, Green, Vernon (now St. John) and Del Mar. Working with the architects' plan, noted landscape architect Garrett Eckbo developed a unified campus landscape, merging the lawns of the Fowler, Sprague, Jamieson and Merritt properties with the streams, fountains and sculptures that remain here today.
Beginning with a physical education complex in 1964, most of the modern college buildings were constructed on land east of Terrace Drive, replacing old homes, some dating from the 1880s.
In 1966, a Student Center was dedicated, followed in 1968 by the Fine Arts Hall and Science Hall and the men's dormitory Grove Terrace. The Hall of Administration at 300 West Green Street was completed in 1969. The Fine Arts and Science Halls were demolished in 2013 and the Hall of Administration was demolished in 2016.
Erected 2019.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Religion & Religious Structures. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1956.
Location. 34° 8.552′ N, 118° 9.448′ W. Marker is in Pasadena, California, in Los Angeles County. It is in South Arroyo. It can be reached from Terrace Drive 0.2 miles south of Green Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 169 S St John Ave, Pasadena CA 91105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Los Angeles and in the Transverse Ranges. It is also on the American Pacific Coast. Globally, it is in North America, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain and also Mexicos Alta California.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Claypool-Fowler Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Terrace Villa Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Ambassador Auditorium (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merritt Mansion (about 500 feet away); History of Ambassador Gardens (about 800 feet away); Aerojet Engineering Corporation First Plant (approx. Ό mile away); Olympic Flagpole (approx. Ό mile away); Pasadena Founders Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pasadena.
Regarding Worldwide Church of God and Ambassador College. The college closed in 1990 after operations were consolidated at their campus in Texas. New apartments and condominiums have been built on part of the property. Terrace Drive is now a pedestrian walkway from Green Street to Del Mar Blvd, with six historical markers along the way.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 3,336 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 3. submitted on June 24, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.


