Dover in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Ohio and Erie Canal / Canal Dover Toll House
1825 - 1913
Canal Dover Toll House
Erected 1995 by The Tuscarawas County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-79.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio and Erie Canal, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 40° 31.132′ N, 81° 28.566′ W. Marker is in Dover, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is on Front Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is about 300 feet east of Tuscarawas Avenue, along the Tuscarawas River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover OH 44622, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cascade and Hardesty Mills / The Ohio-Erie Canal and Industry in Dover (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dover Concert Band, 1924Christian Deardorff (approx. ¼ mile away); W. W. Scott, 1891 (approx. ¼ mile away); Camp Meigs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dover Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jeremiah E. Reeves / The J.E. Reeves Victorian Home (approx. ¾ mile away); Reeves Steel World War II Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
More about this marker. The marker is numbered 5-79 on its face. However, its official marker number, as recorded on the list of The Ohio Historical Society is number 6-79.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,440 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 11, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 5. submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.