Gruetli/Laager in Grundy County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Apparently named for a commune in the canton of Glarus, Switzerland, it was founded by Peter Staub, native of that locality, and 100 Swiss families who bought land here, on April 11, 1869. Since 1880, normal increases in population and the desire for self-betterment have driven many inhabitants to neighboring cities.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2E 43.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1861.
Location. 35° 22.256′ N, 85° 39.6′ W. Marker is in Gruetli/Laager, Tennessee, in Grundy County. Marker is at the intersection of Tennessee Route 108 and 20th Ave South, on the right when traveling east on State Route 108. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gruetli Laager TN 37339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Melchior Thoni, Jr (approx. 0.4 miles away); Creighton's Store (approx. United Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid (approx. 5.4 miles away); Grundy County Confederate Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Altamont, Tennessee World War Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); In Memory of LTJG William (Billy) E. Stulce (approx. 5.4 miles away); Korean and Vietnam Conflicts Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2009. This page has been viewed 835 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on June 26, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.