West in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Church of the Assumption
This congregation originated as part of earlier church in Martinville (now Tours). After the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad came through the area about 1890, church members in west received permission from the Bishop to erect their own sanctuary in 1892. The Rev. John Geleissner served as first pastor of the new church. Masses were conducted in Latin, but the Czech language was also used in services. The original wooden building, destroyed by fire in March 1903, was replaced by a brick sanctuary that same year. It was replaced by a third structure in 1956.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 855.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1903.
Location. 31° 48.027′ N, 97° 5.906′ W. Marker is in West, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of South Harrison Street and Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on South Harrison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 S Harrison St, West TX 76691, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this St. Mary's School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); West (approx. 0.3 miles away); Groppe Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Crash at Crush (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Crash at Crush (approx. 3.7 miles away); St. Martin Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tours Community (approx. 4˝ miles away); Czech Settlers in Hill County (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.