Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Attracted by the availability of inexpensive land and a healthful climate, the families of J. T. Matsler, S. M. Pearson, W. P. Long, J. H. Calvert, J. V. Neil and others began settling this part of Hale County about 1890. They engaged in ranching and raising feed for stock, obtaining their supplies by rail from Amarillo. A mail and passenger service operated by Stant Rhea linked the settlement with surrounding communities.
In 1897 the pioneers built a one room building that served as a schoolhouse, community center and place of worship for the settlement, which they chose to call Happy Union. J. V. Neil, W. H. Pearce and H. P. Darden were the first school trustees. Charles P. Shirley deeded two acres of land in 1908 on which a new schoolhouse was built. It was replaced by a larger stucco building that was used until the school disbanded about 1944.
By the 1920s the community had a store and filling station built by Gordon and Mae Hansen, a cotton gin, and later a grain elevator. Irrigation helped make Happy Union a prosperous farming area which, despite its limited growth, has retained a strong sense of identity that
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2369.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 2.123′ N, 101° 41.797′ W. Marker is in Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on FM 400, on the right when traveling south. To view the marker from Plainview, take FM 400 about 10 miles south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: FM 400, Plainview TX 79072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Snyder Community (approx. 5.1 miles away); Bellview Community and School (approx. 6˝ miles away); Hale County (approx. 8.7 miles away); J. Frank Norfleet (approx. 8.7 miles away); Site of Epworth (approx. 8.7 miles away); Nils Akeson (approx. 8.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hale Center (approx. 8.9 miles away); Ranching and Farming in Hale County (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plainview.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 162 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.