Abernathy in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Struve Family Businesses
Fritz W. Struve (1877-1959) came here from Burnet County in 1912, 3 years after city was founded, started a grocery store; was joined by brother Ben F. (1879-1947) in 1918. Family operated wide variety of businesses vital to the early economic success of the community: grocery (1912-1962), hardware (1913- ), implements (1913- ), dry goods (1918- ), tin shop (?-1923), cheese factory (1929-1951). The cheese enterprise was unique to this region, producing an average of 1800 pounds per day.
Fritz W. Struve was elected as first mayor in 1924, serving 3 terms in that office.
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5142.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 49.917′ N, 101° 50.568′ W. Marker is in Abernathy, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 322 Main St, Abernathy TX 79311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this Town of Abernathy (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Pearce Chapel-Strip Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); New Deal (approx. 7.1 miles away); Stant Rhea Stage Stand (approx. 9.7 miles away); County Line Community (approx. 10.6 miles away); County Line Cemetery (approx. 10.7 miles away); World War II Glider Pilots (approx. 12.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abernathy.
Regarding Struve Family Businesses. The text 'from Burnet County' has been removed from the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.