Petersburg in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First established, Sept. 9, 1891, as a rural post office about 5 miles northeast, at the home of Capt. Zack Peters, whose wife, Margaret, was postmaster.
Ed M. White built first house at present site, about 1895. When Peters family moved from area, in 1896, White assumed postmaster duties. In 1902, he opened the first business in Petersburg, a general mercantile store. The settlement incorporated in 1927, and elected Charles Schuler as mayor. After arrival of Fort Worth & Denver Railroad, in 1928, Petersburg became an agricultural marketing center for the area.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4000.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 52.622′ N, 101° 36.121′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on FM 54 E. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg TX 79250, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Becton Cemetery (approx. Site of Estacado (approx. 8.9 miles away); Estacado Cemetery (approx. 9.9 miles away); Pearce Chapel-Strip Cemetery (approx. 10 miles away); Farmer Community (approx. 10˝ miles away); Cone Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Happy Union (approx. 12.2 miles away); Lorenzo Cemetery (approx. 13.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.