Abernathy in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pearce Chapel-Strip Cemetery
The only landmark of the Strip Community, named for its location on a 1.5 by 15-mile strip of land opened to homesteaders in the 1890s. William Houston Pearce (1844-1926) moved into the area in 1895 and started a school, called "Round-Top", or "Strip". Small groups began to worship in the schoolhouse, and one congregation formed Pearce Chapel Methodist Church.
F. E. Andrews (1857-1898) gave a cemetery tract in 1898, and late that year his was the first grave.
Strip Post Office opened in 1904 with Postmaster Jerry W. Turner handling the mail in his home. In 1906, a Union Church was built near the cemetery site, which was purchased by public subscription in 1907, in order to clear the title. In 1910 the Strip Post Office closed after service was made available in Abernathy. The school and church buildings were moved to Lakeview in succeeding years, but this cemetery continues to be used. By 1973 it had 180 graves.
War veterans buried here include two Confederate soldiers, James E. Fitzgerald and William Houston Pearce; World War I veterans George W. Fitzgerald, George Harkness, and Leroy Mahagan; World War II veterans
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3960.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 51.303′ N, 101° 46.43′ W. Marker is in Abernathy, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on Highway T north of Highway 325, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abernathy TX 79311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Struve Family Businesses (approx. 4.3 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 4.3 miles away); Town of Abernathy (approx. 4.3 miles away); Stant Rhea Stage Stand (approx. 9.3 miles away); Becton Cemetery (approx. 9.3 miles away); New Deal (approx. 9˝ miles away); Petersburg (approx. 10 miles away); Happy Union (approx. 13.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abernathy.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.