Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Swiss native Jacob Nussbaumer, a colonist in the pioneer La Reunion settlement of the Dallas area, purchased this land prior to the Civil War. In 1898 his wife Dorothea and children sold it to her niece Henrietta Frichot Wilson (1864- 1953), the daughter of La Reunion settlers.
Henrietta and her husband Frederick P. Wilson (1863 - 1923) built their residence at this site in 1899 and later constructed six additional homes as rental property. Together the houses were the center of a residential area known as the Wilson Block of Swiss Avenue. The neighborhood was the home of many early Dallas leaders, including Charles D. Hill, who became one of the area's prominent architects, and Dr. Theodore L. E. Arnold, an early Dallas ophthalmologist whose son Charles pioneered in microphotography.
The various architectural styles represented in the historic Wilson Block reflect Victorian and Queen Anne influences. The homes feature similarities in composition, including frame construction, clapboard siding, decorative shingle patterns, gabled roofs and intricate ornamentation.
Today the Wilson Block serves as a reminder of
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1978
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6922.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 47.323′ N, 96° 47.12′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Swiss Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2922 Swiss Avenue, Dallas TX 75204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baylor College of Dentistry (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of East Dallas (approx. ¼ mile away); William Sidney Pittman (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baylor University Medical Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Leadbelly (approx. half a mile away); Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Sons of Hermann in Dallas (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.