Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockney in Floyd County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Trinity Lutheran Church

 
 
Trinity Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, June 28, 2020
1. Trinity Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  

Lutherans in the Providence community requested a missionary from the Mission Board of the First Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Texas to fill the need for spiritual guidance in the Plains area of Texas. Pastor F.A. Bracher answered the call and began services on June 11, 1911. Shortly following the first service in the one-room providence school, the Evangelical Trinity Lutheran Church was organized and a constitution adopted with signatures from the following community members: E. Rohloff, F. Lindemann, H. Sammann, J.H. Ratien, K. Sammann, C. Koenig, F. Boedeker, L.H. Sammann, and F. Meyer. Later in the year, the congregation decided to build a church. Henry Quebe, a settler of Mcgregor, offered five acres of land for a new church and parsonage, and the building was dedicated on june 2, 1912. For the next several years, the congregation reached a goal of becoming self-supporting while making several improvements to the church building.

In the late 1940s, the Providence community began to grow and the congregation decided to expand its facilities. A larger structure was dedicated on February 26, 1950, and several additions to
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the church and parsonage were made in 1963. The original church bell, stored in 1963 during the church construction, was erected in 1985 from memorial funds and contributions from the congregation. The tower of steel holds the brass bell, cast in 1879, which has served the church since 1912. In 1987, the church united with other congregations to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The vision and dedication of the pastors and members have allowed the church to continue to carry out the Lord’s commission.
175 years of Texas Independence 1836-2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16991.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 34° 14.53′ N, 101° 31.273′ W. Marker is in Lockney, Texas, in Floyd County. Marker is on FM 2301, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 FM 2301, Lockney TX 79241, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Holt School (approx. 7.2 miles away); The J. A. Baker Store (approx. 9.4 miles away); John Ellison Burns (approx. 9.4 miles away); First Methodist Church of Lockney
Trinity Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, June 28, 2020
2. Trinity Lutheran Church Marker
(approx. 9˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Lockney (approx. 9˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Claytonville (approx. 9.9 miles away); Green Machinery Co., Inc. (approx. 10.4 miles away); Lamar School (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockney.
 
Trinity Lutheran Church Cross and Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, June 28, 2020
3. Trinity Lutheran Church Cross and Bell
Trinity Lutheran Church Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen Lowrey, June 28, 2020
4. Trinity Lutheran Church Cornerstone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152109

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024