Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glen Arm in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gunpowder Copper Works

1804 - 1883

 
 
Gunpowder Copper Works 1804 - 1883 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
1. Gunpowder Copper Works 1804 - 1883 Marker
Inscription.  Levi Hollingsworth built a mill here to roll and fabricate refined blocks of copper that were shipped to Baltimore from Wales and hauled to the mill by oxcart. The copper used for the roofing of the original dome of the Capitol was rolled and fabricated here.
 
Erected 1967 by Baltimore County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNatural Resources.
 
Location. 39° 25.371′ N, 76° 29.754′ W. Marker is in Glen Arm, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Harford Road (Maryland Route 147) 0.2 miles north of Factory Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Arm MD 21057, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Rock (approx. 1.8 miles away); Germantown (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Baltimore Embroidery / The Tanner Homestead (approx. 1.9 miles away); Perry Hall (approx. 2.2 miles away); Gunpowder Falls State Park
Copper Works Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
2. Copper Works Building
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.8 miles away); Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Harry Dorsey Gough (approx. 3 miles away); Camp Chapel (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
Sign on Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
3. Sign on Building
Dwelling across from the Copperworks image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 29, 2007
4. Dwelling across from the Copperworks
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,905 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on July 1, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 29, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152193

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 7, 2023