Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belton in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church

of Belton

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 30, 2020
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  The First Baptist Church of Belton was organized in the summer of 1853 under the leadership of the Rev. Solomon G. O'Bryan and the Rev. David Fisher. There were eight charter members, and the congregation met in a small frame building on Pearl Street on the north side of Nolan Creek. Early visiting preachers included John Clabaugh and Judge R.E.B. Baylor.

Clabaugh was called as permanent pastor of the church in 1856 and held services once a month until the beginning of the Civil War. Visiting ministers served the congregation during the war. A revival held in 1864 at the courthouse by the Rev. W.W. Harris resulted in many new members for the church.

The Rev. M.V. Smith began an eighteen-year pastorate in Belton in January 1875. The congregation, which had been meeting in other churches, built a stone structure on the east side of Main Street, south of the present church buildings. After the stone church was destroyed by fire in 1947, construction began on the present structure at 506 N. Main. The facilities have been enlarged over the years to serve the growing congregation.

With service to its congregation
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and the community, the church has contributed to Belton's history.
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1616.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1875.
 
Location. 31° 3.686′ N, 97° 27.734′ W. Marker is in Belton, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (State Highway 317) and West 5th Avenue, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belton TX 76513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Belton Woman's Commonwealth (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Bell County Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Sam Houston Speech (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Carnegie Library Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Memorial to Civil War Education in Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scott & White School of Nursing (approx. 0.3 miles away); Luther Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belton.
 
First Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry D. Moore, June 30, 2020
2. First Baptist Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2020, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152233

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024