Penn State Scranton
In 1923, Penn State began offering evening technical programs through a branch school in the city of Scranton. After WWII, the expanded programs included associate degrees. A lack of space for the increasing number of students seeking degrees brought the campus in 1968 to a 45-acre tract in suburban Dunmore, where it was named in honor of Pennsylvania industrialist and civic leader Worthington Scranton.
Erected by Penn State Alumni Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 41° 26.414′ N, 75° 37.203′ W. Marker is in Dunmore, Pennsylvania, in Lackawanna County. Marker is on Campus Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker is at the SE corner of the Study Learning Center, on the university campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Ridgeview Drive, Scranton PA 18512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Penn State Scranton Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthracite Mine Disaster (approx. 0.4 miles away); Throop (approx. 0.4 miles
Also see . . . Penn State Scranton. (Submitted on July 4, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 4, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.