Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brentsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Haislip-Hall House

Brentsville

 
 
Haislip-Hall House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), July 5, 2020
1. Haislip-Hall House Marker
Inscription.  
Haislip and Hall Families
John W. Hall was a Confederate veteran who served as a courier during the Civil War.

Samuel Haislip built the home for his wife and their seven children around 1850. The original structure included two bedrooms and was built from logs and cedar siding. The home was later owned by John william Hall, the husband of Haislip's youngest daughter Sophia. While still owned by Hall, the house was rented to different families over the years until it became vacant.

The Enslaved
The house accommodated numerous people, including enslaved people. When the house was built, the Haislips owned two enslaved persons. By 1860 the enslaved population at the Haislip farm had expanded to 11 individuals. There is no documentation on where the enslaved lived on the farm. Most likely some lived in the house and some in agricultural buildings.

Restoration
The house was originally located off of Linton Hall Road and was moved to the site in 2000. The restoration of the house was completed
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
between 2007 and 2008. The addition of the house and its farm-like surroundings give visitors the opportunity to see what it was like to live on a nearly 500-acre farm in 1850s Virginia.
 
Erected by Prince William Historic Preservation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 38° 41.409′ N, 77° 29.947′ W. Marker is in Brentsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker can be reached from Bristow Road (Virginia Route 619) 0.2 miles west of Izaak Walton Drive, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12269 Bristow Rd, Bristow VA 20136, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Public Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gallows (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brentsville.
Haislip-Hall House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), July 5, 2020
2. Haislip-Hall House Marker

 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
 
Haislip-Hall House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), July 5, 2020
3. Haislip-Hall House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 121 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152426

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024