Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)

 
 
Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
1. Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker
Inscription.  
Born in Sussex County, Del., Hugh Rodney Sharp spent four happy years at Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, graduating in 1900 at the age of 20. He went on to become a successful business executive, a University Trustee and one of the institution's most loyal and generous benefactors.

To preserve the sense of community he cherished as a student, Mr. Sharp funded construction of Mitchell Hall, which has served as an assembly hall and theatre, and this residence hall, which was completed in 1954.

Mr. Sharp even helped to plant elms on The Green as part of a plan by renowned landscape architect Marian C. Coffin.
 
Erected by University of Delaware.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 39° 40.928′ N, 75° 45.131′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green north of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 15, 2019
2. Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955) (within shouting distance of this marker); George Abram Harter (1853-1943) (within shouting distance of this marker); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (about 300 feet away); Elliott Hall (about 300 feet away); Of Rural New Castle County (about 400 feet away); Professor Theodore Wolf (1850-1909) (about 400 feet away); Alumni Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
 
Regarding Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968). There are 2 markers on campus dedicated to this person, H. R. Sharp. They stand in front of Sharp Hall and Sharp Laboratory; those buildings are close together and are not to be confused.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on July 12, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152661

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2021