Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pasadena in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Castle Green

 
 
Castle Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, June 22, 2020
1. Castle Green Marker
Inscription.  
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
 
Erected 1982 by U.S.Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureBridges & ViaductsForts and CastlesIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 34° 8.637′ N, 118° 8.956′ W. Marker is in Pasadena, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on South Raymond Avenue just south of Green Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 S Raymond Ave, Pasadena CA 91105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of Throop University (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Braley Building (about 400 feet away); Mercantile Place (about 400 feet away); 1909 Seagrave (about 500 feet away); Plotkin Alley (about 500 feet away); Baker Alley (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named
Castle Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, June 22, 2020
2. Castle Green Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Mercantile Place (about 600 feet away); Edwin Alley (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pasadena.
 
Regarding Castle Green. Built in 1898, Castle Green was designed by architect Frederick Louis Roehrig as an annex to the Green Hotel on the opposite side of Raymond Avenue. It was connected to the first part of the hotel with an ornate enclosed bridge crossing the street. The original hotel and part of the bridge were demolished after a fire. The hotel was built by George G. Green, a patent medicine entrepreneur.
In 1903 Green added a third building, incorporating an earlier building which had been the original site of California Institute of Technology / Throop University. It is now apartments.

In 1982 the entire block was added to the National Register of Historic Places and City of Pasadena’s list of Historic Places.

Castle Green is now condominiums and is not open to the public except during annual guided tours.
 
Castle Green Lobby image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, June 22, 2020
3. Castle Green Lobby
Castle Green image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, May 21, 2019
4. Castle Green
Part of the bridge still exists.
Castle Green image. Click for full size.
By Craig Baker, June 22, 2020
5. Castle Green
Castle Green image. Click for full size.
6. Castle Green
This view shows the original building at left, the bridge to the castle, and the university building next to it, at right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 12, 2020, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152692

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021