Harrisville in Lewis County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Harrisville Central School History
In 1836, the first school was built of logs on the east side of the river. The second school was a one room frame building on the corner of Locust St. and the South Creek Road.
A school containing two rooms was later built on Main St. and was enlarged to four rooms and then to six rooms.
A three story brick building containing several rooms and on the third floor, a science laboratory and library, was erected in 1908. two additions were built; one in 1936, the other in 1950. In 1982, the high school students moved to the Mill St. site.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
Location. 44° 8.932′ N, 75° 18.977′ W. Marker is in Harrisville, New York, in Lewis County. Marker is on Main Street. Marker can be seen in the Overlook parking lot off of Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8207 Main St, Harrisville NY 13648, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grist Mill (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chair Factory (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. Railroad Depot (approx. half a mile away); The French Emigres (approx. 5½ miles away); Site of First Talc Mill in United States (approx. 9.6 miles away); In Tribute to Rhoda Fox Graves (approx. 14.9 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church and the Gouverneur Museum (approx. 14.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.