Owego in Tioga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected August 26, 1914
This fountain honors past
Fire Chief George H. Baker,
Killed in a 1913 accident
and all Owego Firefighters.
Erected 2018 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 42° 6.186′ N, 76° 15.767′ W. Marker is in Owego, New York, in Tioga County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Court St, Owego NY 13827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tioga County Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ithaca-Owego RR (about 400 feet away); Former Residence (about 600 feet away); 1849 Great Fire (about 600 feet away); Routes of the Armies (about 600 feet away); Steamboats and Docks (about Fishing the Susquehanna (about 600 feet away); Two Rivers Greenway (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Owego.
More about this marker. The marker is on the grounds of the Tioga County (NY) Courthouse, in a grove of trees behind the building.
Regarding Baker Fireman. Erected in 1914, the fireman and baby were originally bronze in color with the dark green fountain base. In 1953 local painter and World War I veteran Harry McCoy repainted the fireman with blue trousers, white coat, and red helmet in preparation for the Central New York Firemen’s Convention held in Owego that year for $10. The fireman was later repainted his current colors in the 1960s.
The Baker Fireman’s Fountain, depicting a firefighter holding a child, is often described as the symbol of Owego and its community minded residents standing for the spirit of volunteerism that makes Owego great. The fountain was given to the Village of Owego and its firefighters in 1914 by Frank M. Baker as a memorial to his son, George Hobart Baker, who was killed in an automobile accident in 1913. Both men had been members and chief engineers of the Owego Fire Department. The fountain was last restored in 2000.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2020, by Frederick Bothwell of Georgetown, Texas. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on July 14, 2020, by Frederick Bothwell of Georgetown, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2020, by Frederick Bothwell of Georgetown, Texas. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.