Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eagle Harbor in Keweenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Eagle Harbor General Store

 
 
Eagle Harbor General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
1. Eagle Harbor General Store Marker
Inscription.  The Eagle Harbor General Store was established by John, Michael and Martin Foley and Michael Smith in 1861, the year Lincoln became President. Martin Foley eventually became shopkeeper in another Foley general store in Red Jacket (Calumet) and Michael Foley died in 1876. Beer was among the many items sold in the store and was imported in barrels and bottled in the basement under the "Foley & Smith" brand. Some nights you can still hear the two Irishmen taste testing their product before bottling. John Foley and his wife Mary Ann Rice had 12 children, and Michael Smith and his wife Mary Ann Foley, a relative of John, had 7 children. Foley and Smith sold the store to their sons in 1885, which was operated as the Foley & Smith General Store until 1945. Many of the current residents of Eagle Harbor are descendants of these two families.

The store had many proprietors over the years: Mary and Rudy Francisco, Clarence and Anne Bach, Warren and Carol Polsgrove, Karen and Grove Holman, Patti and Bob Crampton, and Richard and Colleen Grove.

The store continued to operate until 2004 making the Eagle Harbor General Store one of the longest
The Eagle Harbor General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
2. The Eagle Harbor General Store Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
running businesses in the Keweenaw.

Drawing by Dail Willoughby
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 47° 27.494′ N, 88° 9.713′ W. Marker is in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, in Keweenaw County. Marker is on West North Street (State Highway 26) just east of Second Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located beside the front patio, at the southeast corner of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 181 West North Street, Mohawk MI 49950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eagle Harbor (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle Harbor House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Iron-Stock Anchor (about 600 feet away); Riveted Bell Buoy (about 700 feet away); Wood-Stock Anchor (about 700 feet away); Eagle Harbor Lighthouse and Museums (about 700 feet away); Fog Signal Building (about 800 feet away); Michigan DNR Marina (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle Harbor.
 
Also see . . .  The Eagle Harbor General Store Museum. Over the many years, and though various owners, the store became more than just a General Store, but also a repository for artifacts collected by local residents. From antique
Eagle Harbor General Store image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, August 2, 2017
3. Eagle Harbor General Store
bottles, to large boat oars from life-saving ships, hand carvings, images and vintage toys, the store displayed these items next to the merchandise creating a personal museum and a well-loved institution that provided staples to the community. (Submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=152796

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021